Friday, April 4, 2014

Three Year Anniversary, What's Different?

When you think about anniversaries, you are remembering something that changed your life.  Examples include the first time you went on a date with someone, the first time you kissed, the day you were married, the birth of your child.  These are things that made changes that impacted your life.

Three years ago, March 31st, 2011: It was Spring Break for my daughter, and we were at the local Y.  My husband was at work.  My dog was, briefly, at home.  I was in the locker room changing cloths being scolded for answering my phone.  My home was on fire.  The dog, was taken to the neighbor's house.

Let's move forward.  February 13th, 2014: I am at work, my daughter is in school, my 26 month old son is in daycare, my husband is at work.  Our family dog has been back with us in our new home just over a month.  At 11:30 am I get a phone call - my home is on fire.  I ask, "Where's my dog?"  The answer: what dog?

Anniversaries mark events that change our lives.  This one was marked by testing what we learned the first time. 

First, purchase a fireproof lock box.  Keep it in a place least likely to be affected by things that can happen.  Ours was under the bed.  Put your marriage license, birth certificates, papers that you want to keep in there.  Not just a file cabinet.  Smoke penetrates even the smallest cracks.  If you can keep the lock box in the basement (smoke rises), do so.  But also keep it away from possible flooding (not on the floor, and keep it locked/closed). 

Also, get a second one for valuable jewelry.  Pearls are not easily cleaned.  It also makes it easier to remove those valuable things in case of disaster. Not everything should be trusted to others.

Second, be friendly at all times.  Be the person you would like to have in your circle of friends.  Especially, if your world flips over.  Because those people are hard to find, and a blessing that will not be forgotten when needed. It amazes me the connections I have in my life.  People who I couldn't even tell you their name before, but know me through church, Girl Scouts, my daughter's school...because I have shown up and volunteered my time for the sake of my kids (even ones I didn't give birth to), others have volunteered their time for me.

There are many lessons that I learned from living through a disaster.  My husband is learning that he needs his wife.  My kids already know I'm there for them, but they are learning to let go of things as well. 

Other people have control over so many things in my life.  Specifically the insurance people whom we have paid to help us out in this situation.  But if you don't know what to expect and trust them to just take care of everything and volunteer information to you, you will lose your ass. Taking a few precautions and finding someone who has been through it can help.

Don't assume that insurance is keeping track of what you have and what you have lost.  They designate other people to handle different areas for this. 

One group cleans your clothing/soft things.  They give their bill to the insurance and return you belongings, including the Un-restorables.  You are responsible to claim the things that are truly un-restorable.  They don't know that your grey dress is supposed to be black, or that your 80's weathered jeans looked like that before the storm. 

If you have an  American Girl Doll, or Vermont Teddy Bear, keep the receipt!!!  Call them first and ask them what to do.  Now they keep track of it in their systems if you ordered it (fill out that customer information and log in to track your purchases).

Another party takes care of Personal Property, another for the Building itself.  They may have to report to one person, but have their numbers and extensions and cell phone numbers and email addresses.  Keep it in more than one place.

Ask for things back! Even if they are un-restorable.  We have old books that are no longer printed.  I had first editions that were lost in the first house fire because they were not returned, nor were they replaced. 

You are only paid for things you replace.  IF you don't list it, they don't cover it.  Even if  you replace it.

Everything you buy to keep life going.  Every receipt! Scan it into the computer and track it.  Papers get lost or wet or fade.  Put the fewest number of items on the receipt.  List what is on the receipts before you forget.  You will need this.

Finally, simple as it sounds, put that silly sticker in the front window letting other's know how many pets you have.  If you have 35 cats, list 35 cats. 

Our dog was found under the bed.  They thought he was a stuffed animal.  My son still looks for him.


No comments:

Post a Comment