Friday, April 4, 2014

Courage, Confidence, Character

If you know the 3 C's of Girl Scouting, you know that as a leader our role is to help girls grow with Courage, Confidence and Character.

I have been my daughter's Troop Leader now for 4 years.  I have been through different levels of training and have even lead training for Girl Scouts.  My specific training is as a First Aid/AED trainer, but I have had the pleasure of also covering for Daisy Leadership Training.  This particular level is the most important in my mind.  Because this is the level that can be the easiest and the most challenging. 

But, I want to talk about a particular area of Girl Scouts that has more topics for discussion than there are calories in a box of Thin Mint Cookies.  Cookie Sales.

In the past, I have not been very involved in the Troop Sales of Cookies (or Fall Product for that matter).  I've attended the Cookie Manager Training, I've helped my daughter as much as I could, and have always felt disappointed at the end.

Why? Because there are reasons why Girl Scouts sell Cookies.

First, to raise funds to help pay for activities and materials.  This requires someone to actually sell cookies.  And then, the girls need to participate in activities.

Second, it is an opportunity for girls to learn about the 5 skills associated with running a business.  From setting a goal, to how they plan to achieve that goal, to what they are going to do when they reach that goal. 

When it comes to reaching their goal, the girls need to sell cookies.   When I say "sell cookies" I don't mean by Quantity.  I mean by Quality.  Girl Scouts are known for going door-to-door and also holding Cookie Booth Sales.  Both involve meeting customers, introducing themselves, taking orders, recording their sales, and handling money.  Handling money?  Yes, even the youngest Daisy can handle money.  They may need an adult by their side, they may need someone to check their math, but they need to handle money.

This year, I have 3rd grade Brownies.  Each of them was given an opportunity to handle money.  Some did better than others.  Some took a few tries to get the hang of it.  And one in particular is known for her catch phrase "5 boxes for $20."  Hey, it works.  No need to make change. 

But we also did more than one Cookie Booth.  In fact, my daughter doesn't want to stop.  She has really impressed me with her smile and spunk when it comes to meeting customers, calculating their order and making change.  And this is after working a booth for more than 4 hours.  Most troops give the girls 30 minute shifts, but we are so small, I take all of them for as long as they would stay. 

My role in Cookie Booth is as  follows: I'm the one dancing around with the sign.  I try to keep the girls warm.  I encourage the girls to speak up and use manners.  But I am not allowed to handle the money.  If I did, they wouldn't be learning.  And they wouldn't be growing with Courage, Confidence and Character.

I would love to know how other people feel about the role of leaders at a GS Cookie Booth?

No comments:

Post a Comment