Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Life without Technology

Three and a half years ago, my life included cable television and internet access at home.  I included a couple of on-line classes in my studies to earn my advanced accounting certificate (I already had my college degree).  And I had both my cell phone and landline with fax/copier/scanner hooked up.


Then, we moved in with my in-laws and have not had internet or cable again.  Eventually we did get a usb stick to have internet, but limited minutes.  And then my daughter got her Ipad, and we used the free wifi at coffee shops and local library.


Technology is a part of our lives, and understanding it can make life much easier.  But relying on it can make life rough also.


For the past several months, my smart phone has been my connection to many things.  Internet and emails (updates on field conditions and weather), Facebook (where I was kept up to date on my cousin's recovery from falling off a 15 foot cliff), communications in general via text or phone calls.  It was my camera, instantly uploading pictures to my Google account.  It was the entertainment for my 2 1/2 year old who got a little anxious half way through his sister's swim team practices.  We used it for research, since no one really uses encyclopedias anymore.  (I don't think my daughter fully understands why the boy detective is called Encyclopedia Brown.)


This weekend, I spent 5 days without my cell phone.  No means to communicate with my team of U10 Softball players.  Hoping we had enough to play our tournament game (we had 7).  Fortunately, my husband had his phone.  We used it to pull up the email I sent out 3 months ago with our league rules stating we only need 7 players to not forfeit the game.


I do not take my phone with me everywhere I go.  It doesn't track my workouts (although it is in my back bag in case I get stranded), I leave it in the car during softball practice, and unless my son needs distraction to get through those last 30 minutes of practice it is not our television.  Technology is available for so many things, but there is something it cannot do.  It can not live our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment